Mid Year Transfers

Changing your Child's School

From September 2013 the regulations changed for mid-term or “in-year” applications and local authorities no longer have to co-ordinate applications.

To change your child’s school to a Shropshire school you should complete the midterm/in year application form and send it directly to us.

There are guidance notes to help completing the form.

The decision to move your child from one school to another should never be taken lightly. A settled placement throughout both primary and secondary school is important. If your child is having difficulties, or you are considering a transfer for other reasons, please discuss issues with your child's headteacher before making a decision.

There are a number of circumstances which the local authority may define a pupil as being “hard to place”. In such circumstances The Department for Education (DfE) requires that all local authorities have a Fair Access Protocol. This protocol has been consulted on with headteachers.

Please refer to the transfers and mid-term applications pages in the general information section of the Parents' Guide to Education in Shropshire for more detailed information on changing your child’s school.

If you apply for a school place and are advised that there is no place available, you are entitled to appeal against allocation of a school place to an independent appeals panel.